Sometimes, somebody other than the natural parent seeks custody of a child. There are two types of actions involving someone other than the natural parent. One type is called Third Party Custody. In order to get Third Party Custody you must first demonstrate to the Court that the natural parents are unfit. Then you must demonstrate to the Court that it is in the child's best interest to be placed with you. This type of action requires special handling and must be discussed with a knowledgeable attorney before you attempt to do this.

The second type of action of a person other than the biological parent is called De Facto Parenthood. Some of the factors are that the person has cared for the child for a sufficient enough time to develop a close bond with the child. That the person seeking De Facto Parenthood was not paid to take care of the child and received no compensation for that. And also that the person seeking the De Facto Parenthood took care of the child with the consent of the natural parents. This kind of case also requires special and careful handling and should not be done without consulting with a knowledgeable and experienced attorney.